|My Fair Mandy|
|Series||The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy|
|Writer||C. H. Greenblatt|
|Cartoon Network US Premiere||July 29, 2005|
Home of the Ancients
One Crazy Summoner
My Fair Mandy is a double length episode and is the 15th episode from season 5 of The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy.
It's the annual Citrus Festival at school and they are hosting a Little Miss Scurvy-beauty pageant. Mindy has all intention of winning the talent show and being crowned "Little Miss Scurvy." However, after taunting Mandy about it, she decides to join in the talent show and prove Mindy wrong.
Mandy tells Billy and Grim about it, who at first laugh at her, but ultimately decide to assist her. Eventually, Grim calls an old friend of his, Crabina, the best makeup artist in the Underworld. Crabina tells Mandy that to have any chance of winning the pageant, she must smile. As long as her friend Billy has known her, she has remained a "stone-faced deadpan snarker", and he, along with Grim, decide to assist Mandy with her smile. Crabina gives some acting tips and applies some makeup to Mandy (who is still a bit reluctant).
Finally, it's the day of the talent show. After a couple of acts, it's Mandy's turn. She sings "Over the Rainbow". During the act, everybody cheers her on, even more than they cheered on Mindy. But, it comes to the end of the act, where Mandy must smile. She finishes her song, and she forces a smile. However, they soon learn too late that by making Mandy smile, they had "messed with the natural order". This causes all of reality to implode, and Billy, Mandy, Grim, and Irwin are sent to the city of Townsville, the setting of the Powerpuff Girls.
- Story and Storyboard by: C. H. Greenblatt
- Art direction: Rae McCarson
- Directed by: Shaun Cashman
- The episode features a special guest appearance of Professer Utonium from the Powerpuff Girls, another Cartoon Network series.
- Mandy has actually smiled in previous episodes, such as Meet the Reaper, Opposite Day, Look Alive!, and A Dumb Wish. In all those cases, it didn't have any dire consequences. However, those were all Grim & Evil episodes, so the writers did not create the effect yet.
- Technically though, those were smirks and Mandy was smiling on her own accord, not because she had to do it, like in this episode.
- Mandy does also smile in a few Cartoon Network bumpers and comic stories, as well as the episode, Crushed.
- There was a reference to Stanley Kubrick's film 2001: A Space Odyssey when the world imploded, an eerie array of colors and horrified faces resemble the climax from the film.
- During Mandy's talent act, she dresses like Dorothy Gale and sings Over the Rainbow, a song from the 1939 movie classic The Wizard of Oz.
- Coincidentally, Grey Griffin would voice Dorothy in Tom & Jerry: The Wizard of Oz.
- Mindy's talent act is a scene from Dune.
- When Grim says that he looked like a "total nerd", a picture of Jay Bastian is shown.
|The image gallery for My Fair Mandy may be viewed here.|