Fred Flintstone is the main protagonist from The Flintstones.
Billy uncovers Fred frozen in his backyard and decides to spare him from Grim after he threatened to reap him, Billy decides to keep him as a pet and calls him Jake Steele. Billy later tries to teach Fred to be civilized in his way, causing Billy to severely injure him several times, such as peeling his skin down to the bone off his back with wax and slicing off the skin of his head with a razor after shaving him.
The next day, Billy brings Fred to school for show and tell. After being overwhelmed by all the modern technology and customs due to future shock, Fred escapes from his cage, carries off Ms. Butterbean with him, and steals Principal Goodvibes's car. He crashes into an ice cream truck and freezes again. Thousands of years later, he's unfrozen along with Billy, who had accidentally froze himself after falling into the hole to uncover him because he wanted the sherbet he was frozen in. Some aliens examine Fred and eat his brain and he mutters after they don't take Billy's.
- In Nigel Planter and the Chamber Pot of Secrets, you can see Fred-like cavemen.
- In The Flintstones, Fred could speak perfectly normal, whereas in "Modern Primitives" just seems to say "Yabba Dabba-'. This makes understanding the caveman language different from the current language. Of course, this isn't canon to the actual show.
- His catchphrase, "Yabba-Dabba-Doo!" recurs throughout the episode.
- Fred has over 2,399,000 of age, being that figure the time that has been frozen. This makes it the oldest living human in the series.
- His name is the only word that Fred pronounced in current language throughout the episode.
- Billy decides to change his name because he can not speak American English.